Concrete is used in various places like in commercial buildings, homes, bridges and in making water tanks. But when emergency comes related to your concrete then you need to hire some specialists for repairing the concrete portions. Waterproofing is necessary for concrete repairing because if leakage happens in your roof or surface or wall you need to repair these portions quickly, otherwise you cannot stay in your home. Concrete makes the structure of your home and office stronger and you need to maintain it properly. There are many concrete repairing services available in the market and you need to hire the proper concrete repairing services accordingly. In this matter you can contact with your nearest company or you can consult with the specialist company who can repair your concrete professionally.
4 things to know about concrete repairing:
- For hairline cracks
Hairline cracks in concrete can easily be repaired with a grout mixture of cement and water. You need to add just enough water to cement in order to form a thick paste. However, before applying the mixture to the hairline crack, you need to moisten the concrete, and thoroughly clean it.
- Moistening the concrete prevents it from drawing water from the grout mixture. However, keep in mind that no standing water should be there on the surface of the concrete.
- Once the concrete is sufficiently moistened, apply the grout mixture to the crack with the help of a putty knife.
- Use enough mixture to fill the crack, and level it off with the original level of the concrete. Allow the grout mixture to dry off, and then cover the area with a plastic sheet.
- Before you start using the area again, make sure you water the patch for four to five days to allow the cement to strengthen. If you are careful, your hairline concrete repair shouldn’t be a problem.
- For wider cracks in sidewalks
For cracks that are wider than hairline cracks, you need to widen them before you can repair them. When widening the crack along its entire length, make sure you keep the bottom wider than the top. For concrete repair of wide cracks, using an adhesive is recommended. It helps to bond the grout mixture to the old concrete. However, before you begin to apply the grout mixture to the widened crack, you need to clean the concrete patch thoroughly. Use a wire brush and a garden hose to wash away the dust from concrete. And just like with hairline cracks, you need to soak the area to be patched sufficiently. The rest of the steps are the same as with hairline cracks, including covering the patch with a plastic sheet and sprinkling it with water for 4-5 days.
- For driveways concrete repair
- Driveways made from concrete are often frequently damaged due to the heavy nature of loads that they withstand.
- Thus, when you are repairing a concrete driveway, you need to make sure the new patch will be able to withstand the heavy loads. Instead of using a sand mixture for concrete repair on driveways, use a gravel mixture instead.
- Gravel mixture can be made by mixing one part cement with three parts gravel and two parts sand. The rest of the steps for concrete repair on driveways remain the same.
- For repairing holes
Repairing holes in concrete is not much different than other kinds of concrete repair. If the hole is deep and large, you need to widen the hole, keeping the bottom wider than the top. However, for shallow holes, no chipping away is needed. You can directly use a grout mixture in such cases.
Remember, whenever you are undertaking concrete repair, you need to clean the patch to be repaired thoroughly, and make sure there is water standing on the spot. Visit this link if you want to know more about concrete repair.